Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
How good is cinnamon? Did you know that cinnamon has a variety of medicinal properties & has been shown to decrease the amount of sugar that enters your bloodstream after a meal? It does this by interfering with various digestive enzymes, which slows down the breakdown of carbohydrates in the digestive track. This isn’t the healthiest way to incorporate the spice, but I’ve always said food is not the enemy. A good habit to get into is incorporating healthy ingredients into the food you’re craving, and you get the best of both worlds! I made a few healthy swaps to ensure that these rolls aren’t so calorie dense, as most vegan alternatives tend to be higher in their fat & sugar content. Here’s the recipe →
INGREDIENTS (For 8):
- 2 cups Almond Milk
- 1/2 cup Vegan Butter
- 1/4 cup Organic Raw Sugar
- 1 tsp Instant Yeast
- 5 cups Flour, divided
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 3/4 Brown Sugar
- 114 g Vegan Butter or 1/2 cup
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 tbsp Almond Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Mix the dough ingredients and let sit (in a greased covered bowl) for 1 hour until it rises.
- Preheat oven time 180 degrees
- Roll the dough (use pastry mat sprinkled with flour to keep dough from sticking).
- Spread warmed up vegan butter & layer with cinnamon filling on top.
- Roll the dough up, forming a log.
- Cut into smaller rolls to fit baking tray.
- Cover and let rise further for 30 minutes (in a warm place) before placing in oven for 25 minutes.
- Whisk frosting ingredients until smooth, then drizzle onto cinnamon rolls.